Through our curriculum, we aim to meet the individual needs of all pupils across the full ability range by delivering a curriculum which has high expectations, encourages active learning, delivers academic success and builds strong foundations for personal development. This is especially important given the context of high deprivation, high level of safeguarding concerns and literacy skills gap amongst our pupils.
The general rational for the education provided in lessons, extended work and through curriculum enrichment activities are as follows:
- to help all pupils to achieve their full potential in all areas of learning and experience, through a broad and balanced curriculum which is differentiated according to the varying ability and motivational needs of the pupils;
- to allow all pupils a deep immersion in their subjects to enable them to master their subjects and secure the maximum possible success in later life;
- to help pupils to develop a wide range of mental attributes (resilience, emotional awareness, mindfulness and interpersonal effectiveness) through our emotional problem solving curriculum that will develop the confidence for them to succeed at home, in work, in leisure and in any continued education beyond aged 16;
- to help pupils to acquire a wide range of physical and practical skills and to help them utilise those skills in a variety of different contexts;
- to engender in pupils a love of learning for its own sake, helping them to recognise the pleasure and enjoyment that can be gained from the acquisition of new knowledge and understanding and the development of new skills;
- to ensure pupils develop qualities of character and personality as will help them to take their place as active citizens in a pluralistic, multicultural, democratic British society;
- to help pupils to develop an awareness of moral values, to recognise the existence of moral values other than their own and to respect the core values implicit in the ethos of the school.
At the bottom of this page, please follow the link to the long term curriculum mapping documents for each year group which details how we are addressing each of the areas above and how we measure the impact.